Last month, I left off with the deliverables that we received from our surveyor.
Our first step was to convert all of that information into an existing conditions Revit model. We started by converting the 3d AutoCAD model.
Our two priorities in the conversion were (1) maintaining geometric accuracy and (2) creating a usable Revit model. There was no option: they could not be mutually exclusive. And we did it. It was not easy. And it hurt. Furthermore, the results are not ideal - mostly because the model is really finicky. But it was the best we could do.
To maximize our results, we had to develop a unique (but integrated) process for converting each type of object.
The existing building mostly contains 1567 CIP concrete columns (all unique); 476 CIP concrete beams (again, all unique); 31, 492 LF of various walls (mostly CIP concrete and brick); and 816,995 SF of undulating concrete floors.
And we did it, all while referencing the TruViews to make sure we were interpreting everything as accurately as we could.
I've simplified the process quite a bit - there was a lot of planning, organizing and optimizing that went into it along with a lot of technical skill. This entire conversion took about 3 weeks, with one person actively modeling and a secondary person doing some modeling and some organizing.
The next step: laying in new structure and architecture, which was designed based on inaccurate existing conditions.