One of the applications we have found for virtual construction is communicating design intent information to the field staff.
We are excited to have field staff understand the finished product, but less than excited about how much work it took to produce the renderings in Revit.
Since this was our first rendering project, we had to spend quite a bit of time learning! We learned the hard way to only keep the lights in visible rooms "on". Initially, it looked like the renderings would take days, at best (300 dpi, 30" x 20").
We ended compromising quality a little bit; we went down to 150 dpi which turned out to be okay for our purposes. The renderings took about 4 hours on our best machines, which wasn't too bad. Unfortunately we don't have machines dedicated to rendering, so we had to either run them overnight or on weekends - it was a little scary walking away from a computer for hours while it was rendering!
If we can reduce the amount of time we put into renderings, this will definitely be something that is incorporated into our field implementation program.