Over a month ago, we realized that the dreaded "wall breaking" time was approaching quickly. After several team discussions, we agreed on a multi-step plan to do this. I was happy to hear that they agreed that we should do it ASAP, so that we had time to react to any issues before our permit deadline. The process was too lengthy to describe here, but it started with KlingStubbins doing some organization work in the model with walls. Then, I came in and started “breaking”. I had a very systematic approach, which I have outlined in a bit of a tutorial for future use. It included both tracking progress and accuracy in Revit and on a printed 2D RCP (with several colors of highlighter, of course). It took me 3 working days; although, I didn’t work on it 100% of my time.
The result: certain walls are a little bit difficult to work with, but I think the team is managing. One of their biggest complaints is that, when a view is set to coarse, the edge of each wall can still be seen, which makes the drawings look “muddy” (these particular images are actually from the Crate&Barrel project).
When it comes to evaluating Revit as a software program that supports BIM-enabled IPD, this isn’t a deal breaker. However it would be nice if KlingStubbins could be happy with the appearance of the drawings and we got the functionality we needed. I will say that Autodesk has been very supportive and interested; in fact, people from the Revit team have been coming in to support us or observe us, and have taken careful notes on what is working, what is difficult and what needs some work. It’s all very IPD.
And of course, we aren’t using their drawings quite as much for construction anyway – so we’re okay with them being a little muddy.