Pages

Laser Scan Data & Autodesk

Autodesk just partnered with Ambercore to incorporate it into future releases of Autodesk software. Hopefully Revit?

Ideally, this will enable us to import laser scan data into Revit and (easily?) convert it to an object-oriented model. In any case, it's a good sign.

Feedback from a PM

Last week, we had an underground coordination meeting for C&B with a PM who has never worked on a VDC-enabled project before, so I asked him for some feedback on the meeting:

Everything went as I hoped and planned. It took what might have been two days of coordination with all subs involved to a 4 hour meeting and 1 sub. It was a big help to see what could impact a decision by looking ahead and seeing what was in place or going to be in place. I hope that answers your question.

In the future if I have a problem, I know where I am going for help.
So glad I asked!

De-construction Walls in Revit

Over a month ago, we realized that the dreaded "wall breaking" time was approaching quickly. After several team discussions, we agreed on a multi-step plan to do this. I was happy to hear that they agreed that we should do it ASAP, so that we had time to react to any issues before our permit deadline. The process was too lengthy to describe here, but it started with KlingStubbins doing some organization work in the model with walls. Then, I came in and started “breaking”. I had a very systematic approach, which I have outlined in a bit of a tutorial for future use. It included both tracking progress and accuracy in Revit and on a printed 2D RCP (with several colors of highlighter, of course). It took me 3 working days; although, I didn’t work on it 100% of my time.

The result: certain walls are a little bit difficult to work with, but I think the team is managing. One of their biggest complaints is that, when a view is set to coarse, the edge of each wall can still be seen, which makes the drawings look “muddy” (these particular images are actually from the Crate&Barrel project).


























When it comes to evaluating Revit as a software program that supports BIM-enabled IPD, this isn’t a deal breaker. However it would be nice if KlingStubbins could be happy with the appearance of the drawings and we got the functionality we needed. I will say that Autodesk has been very supportive and interested; in fact, people from the Revit team have been coming in to support us or observe us, and have taken careful notes on what is working, what is difficult and what needs some work. It’s all very IPD.

And of course, we aren’t using their drawings quite as much for construction anyway – so we’re okay with them being a little muddy.

Co-locating, Part 1

Since sometime in June, I have been working one or two days per week at KlingStubbins’ office in Cambridge – although since July it’s been consistently two days. I sit with the design team, at my own desk and computer there. Originally, this was our solution for model-access – whenever I needed to do work in the (our) models, I would just come to work at KlingStubbins. We looked into other options (i.e. Steelheads), but co-locating just made more sense from a timing and cost stand point, and now that we are about a week (okay, a week and a half) away from “pencils down”, I think we made the right decision. After “pencils down” (i.e. design is complete), the model will be turned over to Tocci, where we will host the model until project completion, with KlingStubbins’ BIM Lead co-locating at our office.














Sarah & I working together - no model, though!














The team at work - I'm near the end.
















Reviewing the process for modeling walls in three components!.


Co-locating certainly gave me the opportunity to input content (mostly parameters and views) into the model, but the majority of my work at KlingStubbins wasn’t actual model contribution. I was able to review and document material selections and options, review schedule and milestones, explain modeling strategy for walls, plan meetings, etc. A lot of this could have been accomplished over the phone (and to be honest, on the days that I worked in the Tocci office, it was), but it was definitely easier in person.

More importantly, I really think that it created a sense of team and understanding – at least it did on my part. During “their” deadline weeks (for instance, permit deadline), I really felt the stress and tension, and on more “fun” day (for instance, the folding paper days), I was able to understand the concept behind their design. Since I understood why things were happening, I was in a much better position to communicate to other team members (at KlingSubbins, Tocci, etc).

And one of the other benefits of co-locating – since I don’t actually know the phone number for the phone at my desk and no one else from Tocci is co-locating, I have minimal distractions. My KlingStubbins days are so productive.